Best Served Cold
Following the Great Seattle Fire of 1889, which destroyed some 33 city blocks in the Downtown area, the city decided not only to require new buildings to be constructed of more fire-resistant stone or brick rather than wood, but also to regrade the streets of the area one or two stories above the then-present level. This led to the network of underground basements and tunnels, even sidewalks, which became known as the Seattle Underground. The Underground was abandoned for many years until a revival as a tourist attraction in the mid-20th century led to its refurbishment and expansion.
Although it is commonly believed that metahumans, mainly dwarfs and orks, moved into the Underground following the events of the Night of Rage, in fact several groups already occupied the area well before, although the violence in the streets above led to an influx of new metahumans seeking shelter. By the 2040s, the Underground was well established as a haven for metahumans and became known as the “Ork Underground.”